Saturday, January 24, 2015

Saunas Around the World!

I recently went on a trip where I visited three very different cities in three very different countries: Melbourne, Bangkok, and Tokyo. Although I didn't have too much time, I did make it a point to visit at least one gay sauna in all three cities.

There were quite a few differences from my experiences in American ones. All the saunas that I went to in those three cities were really large and well-maintained. The gay saunas that I've been to here in the States were much smaller and usually in a state of disrepair (with the exception of Steamworks in Chicago). Another interesting difference was how the saunas in other countries handled rooms vs lockers. The US saunas were the only ones that charged for private rooms and didn't really provide a lot of closed-off space to play if you didn't get a room. In the international saunas, it's a flat price to enter and rooms are available to anyone (Tokyo was a bit of a hybrid).

I plan to write up an entry on each place that I went to and go into detail about the people I encountered and the facilities. All were quite memorable in their own way. I'll provide a score for each place in this post in case you absolutely can't wait for the full rundown ;-)

Melbourne
Wet on Wellington - 7/10
Subway Sauna - 9/10

Bangkok 
Babylon - 8/10

Tokyo
24 Kaikan Shinjuku - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment